Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Give Thanks! Art Creates Community

I’ve decided to approach the question rolling through everyone’s minds this week. What am I thankful for? Well, this may be a lengthy blog post…
To start, I have this pretty sweet job. I manage the most comprehensive art and culture events calendar in the entire Pikes Peak Region (that’s PeakRadar.com, maybe you’ve heard of it.) I’m extremely thankful to work for the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region. This is an organization that can nurture creativity while also encouraging individual working professionals to achieve even more than they may have expected. As you may know, our Executive Director, Bettina Swigger has accepted the position of Executive Director of Festival Mozaic in San Luis Obispo, CA. I know she is sad to be leaving our community, but couldn’t pass up such a tremendous opportunity. COPPeR has seen so much growth lately, I can’t ignore the fact that someday I may have an opportunity just as grand as Bettina’s, all because I’ve started off with such a fabulous organization and group of supporters. And, though I expected I’d have more time to take notes, I am thankful for the short time I spent working with Bettina, learning from her example and words of wisdom. I’ll miss her every single day…but am excited to have a place to stay when I visit the California Central Coast!
COPPeR has been going strong for four years, working to unite our community by creativity. I don’t know about you, but I think it’s working! Just take a stroll through downtown Colorado Springs. You’ll find artwork on the medians, thanks to the Art on the Streets project. You’ll see masterpieces in shop windows from local vendors. Maybe you’ll hear a local musician on the street or playing onstage inside Studio Bee at the Pikes Peak Center or playing outdoors at one of our fabulous summer concerts in the park. Then, if watching or listening isn’t quite enough, we’re asked to engage in art as well. Audiences have become artists. Artists have become friends working together to bring more awareness and appreciation to all Pikes Peak Region citizens. Art really is everywhere, and I for one can’t imagine it any other way. Thank you Colorado Springs, COPPeR and all the individuals and organizations that make our creative lifestyles possible.

1 comment:

  1. Brett, I'm thankful for you. When you started as an intern just a few years ago here at COPPeR, I knew you were special, but it wasn't until we were able to bring you on full-time that I saw just how fantastic you are. I am going to miss you like crazy, but I feel confident knowing that you are here to keep PeakRadar.com going strong. Thus ends the cheese-fest. Sappily, Bettina

    ReplyDelete