Thursday, July 2, 2009

Playing, wedding, working, success-ing

So, the big Independence Day holiday is nearly upon us. I love holidays, don't ya know? I'll be spending my fabulous fourth at a friend's party, where our band (who shall remain nameless) will be playing for the first time with yours truly. It'll actually be the first time I've ever played keyboards in front of anyone except these guys, but I'm not n-n-n-nervous or anything.

And then, a week after the 4th, I am getting married!!! !!!!!!!! Yup. I'm very excited. I'm marrying the beautiful and vivacious Amber Coté, who happens to be the Executive Director of FutureSelf, a fantastic youth arts organization here in Colorado Springs. She'll kill me*, but this is a nice picture of Amber wearing a babushka.

Anyway, things here at COPPeR are great, and seem to be moving at the speed of ... well, fast things. I come in to work on a Monday morning, accidentally blink and it's Friday afternoon. That's great if you like the weekends and stuff, but I myself really enjoy sitting behind my bad-ass dual-monitor iMac rocking out to the finest in adult-contemporary jazz while approving events. However, when I'm sometimes caught in the office on a weekend, I get a disapproving look from Bettina. It's probably the Kenny G.

Another terrific thing that occurred recently is that we reached our goal of raising $6,000 through the first ever PeakRadar online campaign. Through the month of June, using only electronic communications and word-of-mouth, we were able drum up support from arts aficionados across the Pikes Peak region who appreciate PeakRadar's contribution to our burgeoning arts scene. COPPeR's board of directors was instrumental in this effort as well, pledging to match every dollar donated up to $3,000. So, if you haven't heard it from me yet, I'd just like to say a huge "THANK YOU" to everyone who helped spread the word, donated in any capacity, or simply uses the site to find or promote arts info here in the 719. Y'all make me so happy. :)

This is overdue, but a big thank you to everyone who came out for 1440 Minutes at the FAC Modern gallery. Thanks to the artists: Philip, Tom, Lisa, Eldon, Will, Jocelyn and Melanie; thanks to Jessica and Daisy at CC's I.D.E.A. and Caitlin at UCCS GoCA for doing such a great job curating the event (and special thanks to the extremely helpful and courteous interns from GoCA and I.D.E.A.); thanks to Bristol Brewing's Laura Long, everyone at Nosh for being terrific (as always), and La'au's Taco Shop for having the best "fast food" in town; and, of course, thanks to Charlie, Sam, Blake and Aaron at the Fine Arts Center.

And since I'm in such a happy, bouncy mood (I feel like Tigger), I think I'll also take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy and safe weekend. Whether you've got an extra day off or not, this is a great time to (re)connect with friends and family, drink some cool beverages, eat some delectable grillings, and generally avoid the police and fire departments who will insist that your Roman Candle war does not spill over into your neighbor's yard.

* Seriously, it could be bad for me. If you know her, don't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment